- Deviled Eggs with Pico de Gallo
- The eggs can be cooked several days before and stored in the refrigerator. The filling can be made the day before and is best if piped onto the white shortly before you are going to serve them.
- -Makes 16 appetizers_
- 8 large eggs, straight from the refrigerator
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup mayonnaise, or as much as desired
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4-1/3 cup prepared pico de gallo, drained plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
Put the cold eggs in the bottom of a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and remove the pan from the heat. Cover the pan with a lid and let stand for 12 minutes. Drain the eggs and rinse with cold water. Let the eggs cool a bit and then peel when they are still warm (eggs are much easier to peel when they are warm). After they are peeled, you can then store them, covered, in the fridge.
Slice the eggs in half lengthwise. Gently remove the yolks by pressing your thumb against the back of the yolk to pop it out of the white. Add the yolks to a bowl and add remaining ingredients.
Start by using less mayonnaise and add to desired consistency. Mash together, using a fork, until smooth. Taste for spices and acid level and add more chili powder or lime juice if needed.
Put the filling in a piping bag with a star tip or a re-sealable bag. Cut one end off the re-sealable bag and pipe the filling into the egg whites.
Garnish with a pinch of pico de gallo and a sprig of fresh cilantro.