- Ancient Grain and Super Seed Oatmeal with Cinnamon, Apples, Walnuts and Raisins
- Makes 10 cups
- I buy all of the ingredients in the bulk section and mix them together. Store the mixture in an airtight container and use 1/2 - 3/4 cup per person and 1 cup of liquid - either water, milk, almond milk or a combination per serving. I like to add a teaspoon or more of cinnamon to the oatmeal while it cooks and serve it with a drizzle of maple syrup, agave syrup, or a sprinkle of white or brown sugar, and a little splash of almond milk.
- 5 cups whole grain rolled oats
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup quinoa flakes
- 1 cup amaranth flakes
- 1 cup sunflower seeds (unsalted)
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds (unsalted)
- 1 cup shelled hemp seeds
- 1 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 cup chia seeds
- Optional garnishes:
- chopped apple
- chopped pear
- walnuts, pecans, or almonds, chopped
- dried cranberries
- dried cherries
- dried blueberries
To make the oatmeal: In a saucepan, add 1/2 - 3/4 cup per person of oat mixture and 1 cup of water or milk per serving and the chopped apple, nuts or dried fruit if you are using. Season with salt. Bring mixture to a boil while you stir and reduce to low heat and cover with a lid and stir occasionally for 10 minutes or until the mixture is cooked. Add more water for your desired consistency or cook longer if you prefer it thicker.
You can make a batch and keep it in the refrigerator and add a little water to heat it either in the microwave or a single serving bowl.