- Quiche Lorraine with Bacon, Caramelized Onions and Gruyere Cheese
- You can serve the quiche warm or make it the day before and serve at room temperature.
- 1 pre-made 9-inch pie shell
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 slices bacon, sliced in 1/4-inch lardons
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 eggs + 2 yolks
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream or half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated Gruyere, Parmesan cheese or cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 375.
Make or buy a 9-inch pie shell and keep in refrigerator until needed.
In a sauté pan over medium high heat, add bacon and cook until browned. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and reserve.
Remove most of the bacon fat and add butter and sauté onion until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Allow to cool.
Scatter bacon and onion over pie shell.
Meanwhile, in a bowl, add eggs and yolks, milk, cream or half and half, nutmeg, salt and pepper and mix well and pour over vegetables. Scatter cheese over top of quiche and place on bottom rack in oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned and puffed. Remove and allow to set for 5 minutes before serving.
Can be served hot or room temperature.