- Apple Cider Ginger Smash Cocktail
- You need to make the apple cider syrup and the ginger liquor ahead of time and I make a pitcher of the cocktail up ahead of time so guests can help themselves and just pour it over ice.
- Apple Simple Syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- In a small saucepan, over medium-low heat, add together the sugars, water, apple slices, and cinnamon. Simmer for 45 minutes. Cool. Store in a sterilized sealed glass container in the fridge.
- Ginger Liquor
- 4 slices fresh ginger root
- 1 vanilla bean, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 1/2 cups brandy
- Bring the ginger, vanilla, sugar, and water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until ginger is soft, about 20 minutes. Let the syrup cool. Do not strain yet.
- Zest the orange and place the zest only in a sterilized sealable glass container along with the syrup and brandy. Seal and shake, then let this mixture steep for one day.
- After one day, remove the vanilla bean and let the mixture steep for an additional day.
- Strain mixture through a coffee filter into a sterilized bottle or jar for storage. Let it sit for one more day before using to let flavors mellow.
Makes 8 drinks
8 ounces vodka
4 ounces ginger liquor
2 cups fresh apple cider
4 ounces apple syrup
fresh apple slice for garnish
sliced of crystallized ginger for garnish - optional
In a pitcher, add all ingredients (except garnishes) and mix well. Store in the refrigerator until needed.
Fill an old fashioned glass with ice and fill with Apple Cider Ginger Smash cocktail mixture. Garnish with apple and crystallized ginger slice.