- Black Bean Burgers with Cilantro-Lime Aioli
- The black bean burgers can be frozen after they are cooked and gently reheated in a skillet. The cilantro-lime mayonnaise will keep for 3 days in refrigerator.
- Makes 8 patties
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- ½ - 1 jalapeño roughly diced, optional
- 1 ½ tablespoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 -4 teaspoons chili powder – depending on how spicy you like it
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cans black beans, rinsed and drained (reserve 1 can of whole beans)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 ½ cups corn, can be frozen and rinsed in hot water to quickly thaw
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns, whole wheat pita pockets or lettuce leaves
- garlic powder (optional)
- pickled red onion or sliced red onion
- avocado, sliced
- tomato, sliced
- Cilantro-Lime Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking tray with a silpat liner.
In a food processor add oatmeal and pulse into a coarse flour. Remove to a bowl. Add onions, red pepper, jalapeno and garlic and pulse until finely chopped but not minced.
Set a non-stick skillet over high heat and add a spray of oil and add vegetable mixture. Lower temperature and sauté until the onions are lightly browned, about 5-6 minutes. Add cumin, oregano, chili powder and black pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
In the food processor bowl, add 3 cans of rinsed and drained black beans, cilantro, oatmeal, and pulse until most of the beans are ground. Do not over process. Add onion mixture and pulse several times to mix. Remove bowl and blade and add remaining can of whole beans and corn and mix well. Taste for seasoning and add cumin or chili powder if needed. Form into 8 patties.
You can saute these patties with some olive oil in a skillet or place them on silpat lined baking tray and bake for 8 minutes. Turn patties over and cook for another 8 minutes. Remove.
Meanwhile, in a mini food processor, add vegan mayonnaise, zest and juice of lime, cilantro, garlic and black pepper and pulse until the cilantro is chopped. Taste and add more lime if needed. Can be stored in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To heat buns: Place non stick pan over medium high heat and spray with oil. Sprinkle garlic powder on each half of bun and place cut side down on pan. Sprinkle some water in pan and place a lid and cook 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned and heated through. Remove to a serving plate.
Place some cilantro-lime mayonnaise on each half of bun and place black bean burger and all the garnishes you like.