- Sumac and Aleppo Pepper Spiced Steak with Roasted Honeynut Squash with Pickled Onion and Apple-Walnut Salad
- Serves 2
- 1 teaspoon ground sumac
- 1 teaspoon crushed Aleppo pepper
- salt and pepper
- 2 steaks, room temperature
- 1 small red or yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider or rice vinegar
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 Honeynut or Butternut squash
- 1 Fuji apple or apple of your choice, core removed and diced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup feta or blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, toasted in a dry pan, chopped
Preheat oven to 450 or heat outdoor grill.
In a small saucepan, combine onion, sugar, salt, pepper and vinegar and bring to a boil and reduce to medium and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the onion has softened. Remove from heat and allow to pickle while you prepare meal.
In a small bowl, mix together sumac, Aleppo pepper, salt and pepper. Sprinkle over steaks and allow to rest.
Line a baking tray with foil (for easier cleanup) and spray oil or drizzle with olive oil. Slice squash in 1/2-inch rings and remove seeds. Place on baking tray and spray or drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in oven and roast 8 minutes or until lightly brown on the bottom and turn over and roast another 8 minutes until lightly browned and easily pierced with the tip of a knife.
In a small bowl, add apple, zest, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, mint, feta cheese and mix.
To a grill pan, add olive oil and over medium high heat cook steak and brown on one side, around 4 minutes. Place in oven and roast until desired doneness. For medium rare around another 3-4 minutes. Remove and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
To plate the dish, place squash rounds on plate and top with some pickled onion rings. Place the steak on the onion and garnish the steak with the apple-mint salad.