- Seared Chicken Thighs with Cabbage, Turnips and Figs
- You could also use pork chops in place of chicken in this recipe and it would be delicious.
- Serves 2
- 4 chicken thighs, or 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 turnip, peeled, diced
- 1/2 head of cabbage, core removed, and chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 cup chicken stock or water
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 4 dried figs, diced small
- 1 tablespoon whole grain Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup apple cider or juice, or 2 tablespoons frozen apple juice
In a skillet over medium high heat, add olive oil. Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper and a little thyme and cook for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Turn and continue cooking 3-4 minutes or until cooked through. Remove to a plate and tent with foil.
To the same skillet, add a little olive oil and add onion and turnip and cook until lightly browned, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the cabbage, figs, thyme, salt and pepper and cook 3-5 minutes or until the cabbage is almost cooked. Add wine and cook 2 minutes. Add mustard, chicken stock, apple cider, chicken and any accumulated juices and cook, stirring occasionally 3-5 minutes or until the liquid is slightly reduced in volume. Taste for seasoning.
To serve - divide the cabbage between 2 plates, top with chicken and garnish with a few thyme leaves.