- Five Spice Chicken with Vermicelli, Mushrooms and Fennel
- If you don’t have rice vermicelli (noodles) on hand, you can use spaghetti, fettuccine or angel hair pasta. You could also serve it over rice. Chinese 5-spice powder traditionally has ground cinnamon, cloves, fennel, star anise, and Szechwan peppercorns so it can be a little spicy.
- Serves 2
- 1 ounce vermicelli rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons Chinese Five-Spice powder
- 1 green onion, thinly slice on an angle and reserve the greens for garnish
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, minced
- 10 cremini mushrooms, sliced into ¼-inch slices
- ½ bunch collard greens, stems finely chopped, and leaves roughly chopped
- 1 small fennel, chopped in fine dice
- 1 ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
Fill a saucepan with water and bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, in a skillet, add 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Sprinkle salt, pepper and 5 spice powder on both sides of chicken breast and add to skillet. Cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes and turn and continue cooking until cooked through about 10-12 minutes. Remove chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
Add noodles to boiling water and cook 8-10 minutes or according to package instructions. Drain and rinse for 1 minute to prevent sticking. Drizzle the sesame oil and sprinkle salt and pepper and toss gently to coat. Divide the noodles between 2 bowls.
Add 1 tablespoon to the same skillet and add the whites of the green onion over medium high heat and cook for 1 minute. Add garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds and add the mushrooms, collard greens and fennel and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the mushrooms are lightly browned. Add 1 ½ cup water, hoisin, and soy sauce and cook until the liquid has reduced by half – about 6-7 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
To serve, divide the mushroom mixture between the two bowls, slice the chicken breast and place on top and garnish with green onion.