- Trinidadian Chicken Curry with Coconut Polenta and Collard Greens
- Serves 2
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 3/4 cup polenta
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Trinidadian spice blend (see recipe below)
- 1 bunch collard greens, kale or spinach, washed, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- 2 tablespoons dried toasted coconut flakes (toast in a dry skillet until lightly browned)
- cilantro for garnish
- Trinidadian Spice Blend
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Mix together and store in a spice jar.
In a small saucepan, bring the coconut milk to a boil with some salt and pepper and slowly add the polenta while whisking until the mixture is smooth. Reduce the temperature to medium low and frequently stir until cooked - about 10-12 minutes. Add some water if the polenta seems too thick.
In a skillet over medium high heat, add olive oil and onions and cook until lightly browned. Add chicken and sprinkle with half of the garlic, Trinidadian spices, salt and pepper and cook over medium heat until the chicken has cooked through, about 10 minutes. Add some lime juice and a little water if the chicken seems dry.
While polenta cooks, in a small skillet, add some olive oil and onions and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute and add chicken, spice blend, salt, pepper, and mix well. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Add lime juice and mix and add a little water if the chicken seems too dry. Taste for seasoning.
While chicken cooks, in a small skillet over medium high heat, add some olive oil and add collard greens, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup water and cook until the greens have wilted about 3-5 minutes. Set aside and cover with foil to keep warm.
Add lime zest to polenta and butter and mix well and taste for seasoning.
To serve, spoon some polenta in a bowl and top with greens and chicken and garnish with a lime wedge and sprigs of cilantro.