- Grilled Panzanella Salad
- This salad can be made several hours ahead so the bread absorbs all the flavors of the grilled veggies and vinaigrette.
- Serves 6-8
- 1 loaf artisan roasted garlic bread, French bread or sourdough, sliced in 1/2 inch slices
- 1 red onion or yellow, peeled, thickly sliced horizontally (secure with a toothpick on the side)
- 1 yellow squash, cut lengthwise into thirds
- 1 zucchini, cut lengthwise into thirds
- ¼ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 3 tablespoons honey Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 8 leaves fresh basil, julienned
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan or Pecorino Romano
Slice the bread and place on rack and allow to dry overnight or use stale artisan bread.
In a bowl, add ¼ cup olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and mix. Add onion, yellow squash, zucchini and toss to coat.
Brush some olive oil on each side of bread and lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Heat grill. Place vegetables and bread on grill and cook until lightly browned. Remove to a baking sheet and allow to cool. Cut vegetables and into ½-inch pieces and set aside.
In a serving bowl add mustard, Balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar salt, pepper, garlic, and chopped basil and with a whisk, mix well. Slowly drizzle in olive oil until the vinaigrette emulsifies. Taste for seasoning.
Add the cooked vegetables, croutons, cucumber, tomatoes, arugula and fresh basil and mix well. Add pine nuts (optional) and garnish with Parmesan cheese.