- Indian Lentil Chili
- You can use a combination of lentils like red dal, lentils du Puy, or green lentils with this dish and substitute chick peas for the red kidney beans if you prefer. This chili freezes well.
- Serves 6
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger or 2 teaspoons powdered ginger
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons cardamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 8 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable, chicken broth or water
- 1 2/3 cup dried red dal
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
In a large pot, add oil over medium heat and add onion and cook until lightly browned, about 4-6 minutes. Add carrots and celery and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, salt, pepper and spices and cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Add red dal and kidney beans and bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer and allow to cook over medium low heat for 25-30 minutes or until the lentils are cooked through.
Serve in bowls and garnish with cilantro if desired.