- Medjool Date Power Balls
- Medjool and Deglet Noor dates. Medjool dates are picked when their ripe, and don't have as long a shelf life and are usually more expensive than Deglet dates. Deglet dates are picked when they're rock solid and inedible and have to be steamed to loosen them up. They have a longer shelf life, and are much cheaper and are a good choice for baking because they hold their shape. Medjool dates can often be too soft for baking but make good snacking and stuffing dates. Dates are loaded with antioxidants, sodium, cholesterol are fat free, and provide a good source of fiber and potassium.
- Makes around 20
- 1 cup natural almonds
- 16 Medjool or Deglet dates, pitted
- 2-3 Tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup raw almond, coconut or peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon Maldon sea salt
In a food processor, pulse almonds until coarsely ground. Transfer to a bowl. Add dates and pulse until smooth adding 1 tablespoon of water and up to 3 tablespoons of water until completely smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
Place almonds back in food processor with remaining items and pulse until the mixture is completely incorporated.
Line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper. Scoop mixture into 1 tablespoon balls or any size you prefer, rolling with your hands and place on paper. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
You can roll the power balls in more coconut if you would like.