- Quinoa Tacos
- You can use quinoa, lentils or a combination. You can use fresh salsa or a jar of salsa. The quinoa mixture can be made the day before, or it's a great way to use leftover quinoa or lentils. You can also add black beans to the mixture or use them as part of the garnish.
- Serves 6
- 1 cup quinoa - cooked according to package directions - you can use vegetable broth in place of water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast - optional
- 1/2 cup salsa - fresh or a jar of salsa
- corn or flour tortillas or hard taco shells - heated
- shredded lettuce
- sour cream
- grated cheddar cheese
- green onions - diced
- fresh cilantro
- chopped avocado
- black beans
Cook the quinoa or lentils according to directions on label.
Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil and onion and cook until lightly browned. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds and add cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper and stir to mix. Cook 1 minute and add nutritional yeast, cooked quinoa, and 1/2 cup salsa and stir to combine. Taste for seasoning.
To serve: heat tortillas over direct gas burner flame or in a non stick pan over medium high heat for 30 seconds to a minute per side to heat through or cook hard taco shells according to box.
Garnish with toppings of your choice.