- Miette’s Chocolate Sable’ Cookie
- Makes about thirty-six 1-inch square cookies
- 1 cup (5 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (1 ounce) natural unsweetened cocoa powder (see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup (4 1/2 ounces) sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 ounces 70 percent cacao chocolate, grated
Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda into a bowl and set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter, sugar, salt, and vanilla until lightened, about 4 minutes. Add the dry ingredients and grated chocolate and mix just to combine.
If the dough is soft, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. (The dough will keep, wrapped in plastic, for up to 1 week in the refrigerator or 3 months in the freezer.) Otherwise, roll out the dough 1/2 inch thick on a lightly floured work surface into a 6-by-7-inch rectangle. Using a ruler, square the edges as much as possible. Using a sharp knife or a pizza cutter, cut the dough into 1-inch squares. Place them 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle lightly with sugar.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake the cookies until they are firm, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Store in airtight containers for up to 2 weeks.
We use natural cocoa powder not Dutch-processed, as the Dutch-processed cocoa has been treated with an alkalizing agent that heightens the color but gives it a milder flavor. For this recipe, it is important to use natural product such as Scharffen Berger to attain a deep, dark chocolate flavor.
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- Makes 1 1/2 cups
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup toffee bits
In a small mixing bowl use an electric mixer and whip the cream cheese. Add butter and mix until smooth. Add powdered sugar, salt, brown sugar, and vanilla and mix until creamy. With a spoon, mix in the chocolate chips and toffee bits. Put in serving bowl.
Serve with Miette’s Chocolate Sable’ cookies, Nilla wafers, graham crackers or apple wedges.