- Asian Calamari
- You can make the garnish the day before and refrigerate and you can also use shrimp or fish.
- 20 people for appetizers
- 3 8x4-inch calamari steaks
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup rice flour (buy in bulk section)
- Chop finely and mix together in a small bowl:
- 2 teaspoons bird eye chili pepper or Serrano pepper, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons grated lemongrass
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons chopped green onion
- 2 teaspoons roughly chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons grated garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- lime juice
- cilantro for garnish
Cut calamari into 1 ½ inch pieces and dry off with paper towel. Salt and pepper them and dredge in rice flour.
In a large skillet, add olive oil over medium high heat. Sauté calamari until lightly browned and then flip and lightly brown on other side, about 2 minutes each side.
Add chopped items and sauté for 1 minute. Add fish sauce and lime juice and cook for a minute and toss well. Taste for seasoning and add more fish sauce or lime. Garnish with more cilantro leaves and serve.