- Asparagus with Walnut-Ginger Aioli
- This is a delicious dip with a beautiful saffron color and you can use any type of veggies you want. Trader Joe’s has toasted walnuts which is really easy to add. Leftover aioli is great on a turkey or chicken sandwich.
- Serves 6 as an appetizer
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- pinch of saffron (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- salt and pepper to taste
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add asparagus and cook for 2-3 minutes or until you can just pierce it with the tip of a knife. Don’t overcook. Meanwhile, in a large bowl add ice and cold water and set aside. Drain asparagus, and then plunge asparagus in the ice bath and allow to cool. Remove and pat dry with paper towels. Can be made the day before and stored in a zip lock bag in the refrigerator.
In a dry skillet over medium high heat, place walnuts cook until lightly toasted watching them the entire time and stirring so they won’t burn. Remove from heat and allow to cool. If they have skins on them, put them between your hands and rub the skins off over the sink. Set aside.
In a small bowl, add lemon juice and saffron and set aside.
In a mini food processor, add mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, zest, ginger and salt and pepper to taste. Quickly pulse and taste for seasoning to see if needs more lemon juice, ginger, or salt and pepper. This is even better if made the day before and stored in the refrigerator.