- Breakfast Pastry with Prosciutto, Caramelized Onions and Boursin
- Makes 4 servings
- You can substitute salmon gravlox for the prosciutto and place the salmon on top of the caramelized onion layer.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup diced prosciutto or 6 slices of bacon cut in pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 eggs, beaten
- 5.2 ounces Boursin cheese, any variety or 8 tablespoons soft goat cheese
- Fresh basil for garnish, cut in chiffonade ribbons
Preheat oven to 375.
In a sauté pan over medium high heat, add olive oil and prosciutto or bacon and sauté until crispy. Remove to a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and butter to same pan and add onions, salt and pepper and cook over medium low heat for 15-20 minutes or until the onions are a rich light brown. Remove and cool. Onions can be made the day before and stored in the refrigerator.
On a lightly floured surface, place puff pastry and gently roll into a 10-inch square. Use a pizza wheel or sharp knife and a ruler and cut into four square pieces. With the tip of a sharp knife, lightly score pastry leaving a 1/4-inch border inside to make a crust being careful not to cut all the way through. Then, make slashes on the diagonal all along the crust to make a decoration when it bakes. With a pastry brush, brush the egg around decorated border on pastry and place on baking sheet. Take a fork and prick the bottom of the pastry several times to help avoid pastry from rising too high. Sprinkle cheese over bottom of pastry and bake for 10-15 minutes until they are puffed and golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
To assemble: Sprinkle caramelized onions over cheese, and sprinkle prosciutto over cheese. Garnish with a chiffonade of fresh basil and serve.