- You can add any fresh or frozen fruit and nuts to the batter, and add the zest of orange or lemon. Trader Joe's has a great frozen mix of raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and cherries.
- Makes 18 muffins
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest (optional)
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ½ cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 ½ cup fresh or frozen berries (any combination)
Preheat oven to 375. Line muffin tin with paper liners or spray with oil.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix well. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, cream butter until thoroughly mixed. Add sugar and mix until creamed, about 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time and mix well. Add vanilla and mix well.
Add 1/3 of flour mixture, and mix well. Add ½ of yogurt and mix well. Add 1/3 flour mixture and mix well. Add remaining yogurt and mix well. Add remaining flour and mix well.
In a small bowl, add 1 tablespoon flour and toss the berries. Gently fold the berries into the batter.
Use a cookie scoop and fill muffins ¾ full.
Sprinkle coarse sugar sprinkles over top if desired.
Bake for 18-24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 3 minutes, and then remove muffins to wire rack to cool and serve.