- Coronation Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Coronation Chicken Salad was created over 50 years ago for the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, and with the addition of Madras curry powder and mango chutney it must have been very exotic back then. I like to use store bought roast chicken to make one less step in the process. You can also used 3 poached chicken breasts. I doubled this recipe to make 34 sandwiches. I found some nice small brioche buns at Whole Foods, but any little slider bun will do or you can put them on slices of bread. You can make the filling the day before and store in the refrigerator. This chicken salad would also be delicious served over a bed of salad greens.
- Makes 4 cups of filling for 20 - 3-inch buns
- 1 cups mayonnaise
- ½ cup mango chutney (I like Major Grey's)
- 1 tablespoon Madras curry powder, or more to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup golden raisins or chopped dried apricots
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 roasted chicken, deskinned, taken off bone, diced or 3 poached chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 20 3-inch brioche buns sliced almost through
- softened butter
In a mixing bowl, add all ingredients and mix well. Taste for seasoning and add more mayonnaise or chutney for flavor and consistency. Can be made the day before and stored in the refrigerator.
Spread butter on the buns and put some chicken salad in bun. These sandwiches are best if made close to serving.