- Cream Biscuits – James Beard
- Makes about 9 biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting the surface
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a bowl. Add 1 ¼ cup of heavy cream and mix lightly to make dough. If the dough is not soft or easily handled, fold in the remaining 1/4 cup cream, little by little. Try not to over mix. On a lightly floured surface, pat or roll dough ½ - inch thick. Cut into rounds with a floured cutter 2 ½ -inches in diameter. Dip tops of biscuits in melted butter and place on Silpat lined baking sheet or parchment paper lined baking sheet. Place biscuits on the center rack of oven.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.