- Marzipan and Raspberry Pastries
- Christmas morning traditionally starts off with my husband making these pastries into a wreath shape. I normally don't like to use pre-made dough, but these pastries are really good and easy for my husband to make. You can make them into traditional crescent shapes, or roll the dough out and cut them into smaller pastries.
- makes 8
- 2 (8-ounce) containers refrigerated crescent roll dough
- 1 (7-ounce) container marzipan, pure almond paste
- 8 teaspoons seedless red raspberry jam or cherry jam
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Line a heavy large baking sheet with silpat liner and set aside. Unroll crescent dough; separate along dough perforations into 16 triangles. You can make individual crescent rolls or form the shape of a wreath by overlapping 8 dough triangles on prepared baking sheet, positioning longest points in center and forming a 10-inch-diameter dough disk. You can also make smaller pastries by unrolling the crescent dough, crimping the seams together and cutting the dough into 16 squares. Press edges of triangles together to seal.
Cut almond paste into 8 1/4-inch rounds and place almond paste on top of dough. Spread jam over almond paste. Using remaining 8 dough triangles, and arrange second dough on top of jam. Pinch edges of dough disks to seal. Tuck edges under. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes.
While ring is baking, in a small bowl, make glaze by stirring powdered sugar, water, and almond extract together until smooth. Drizzle glaze over warm crescent pastries. Let glaze set for 10 minutes.