- Indian Beef Stew with Coconut with Sweet Potato
- Serves 6
- I serve this beef and coconut stew over Basmati rice and garnish it with fresh sliced green onions or cilantro.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds cubed beef stew meat
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger or 2 teaspoons dried ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 14 oz. can coconut cream
- 1 14 oz. can coconut milk
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- Cooked Basmati rice
- 4 green onion, sliced for garnish
- fresh cilantro - optional
For a slow cooker:
In the slow cooker add beef, salt, pepper, curry, and garam masala and toss well. Add onion, red pepper, ginger, garlic, coconut cream, coconut milk and sweet potatoes and mix well. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 7 hours. Taste for seasoning and serve over rice and garnish with green onions and cilantro.
In a Dutch oven:
Preheat oven to 325.
In a Dutch oven add oil and heat over medium high heat. Add half of the beef and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Allow one side to brown before you turn over and brown other side. Remove to a platter and set aside. Add remaining beef and brown and remove to platter.
Add a little more oil if needed and add onion and lightly brown. Add red pepper, salt and pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add ginger and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add curry powder and garam masala and stir for 1 minute. Add coconut cream and coconut milk and scrape bottom of pan. Bring to a boil and place a lid and put in oven. Cook for 1 ½ hours.
Remove stew from oven and add sweet potatoes. Place lid back on and continue cooking for 30-40 minutes or until the sweet potatoes can easily be pierced by the tip of a knife.
If you would like a little thicker sauce, make a cornstarch slurry with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water mixed together and slowly add it until the desired consistency.
Serve over rice and garnish with green onions and cilantro.