- Sloppy Joes
- It’s easy to make a double batch and it freezes really well. You can use ground turkey for a healthier option.
- Serves 6
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium yellow pepper (or red), chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
- 6 hamburger buns, split
In a large skillet over medium high heat, add olive oil. Add onion and sauté for 8 minutes or until lightly brown. Add peppers and celery and sauté 5 minutes. Add ground beef and sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until cooked all the way through. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Use a baster and remove all excess oil and discard oil. Add tomato puree, molasses, and vinegars and cook over medium low heat stirring frequently for 30 minutes. Taste for sweet and sour and add more molasses or vinegar as needed.
On a baking sheet, line split hamburger buns on sheet and broil until lightly browned. Turn over and repeat on other side.
Butter sliced side of hamburger bun and sprinkle with garlic powder. Place a large skillet or grill pan over medium high heat and allow to get hot. Place buttered side of bun on skillet and brown.
Place split buns on plates and top with Sloppy Joe mixture.