- Spaghetti and Meatballs
- I double the recipe and use 4 lbs. of ground chuck and freeze the spaghetti and meatballs for another day.
- Serves 6
- 2 pieces of bread, made into fine crumbs (mini food processor works well)
- 1/4 cup half and half (or milk)
- 2 pounds of ground chuck
- 1 large onion, grated, and drained
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
In a small bowl, add crumbs and half and half and mix until combined. In a large bowl, add ground beef and all the ingredients. Mix just until well blended. Set aside while you make the sauce.
Make the tomato sauce:
In a large Dutch oven, add olive oil over medium high heat and cook the onions until they are lightly golden brown. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato sauces, salt, pepper, oregano and basil and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a baking sheet and set aside.
Meanwhile use a 1 ½ -inch cookie scoop (or make golf ball sized balls) and drop the meatballs onto baking sheet. Use your hands and gently round them into balls and leave space between each meatball. Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned. Remove meatballs with a slotted spoon to tomato sauce and allow to cook for at least 15-20 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
Serve over hot spaghetti noodles and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.