- Stuffed Zucchini
- You can use any type of ground meat, and leftover rice. Trader Joe’s has frozen brown rice which is really quick to add to the sauce.
- Serves 6
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 red, yellow or green pepper, chopped
- 1 lb. lean ground beef or ground turkey, ground pork, or ground lamb
- 2 finely minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme or 3 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian Paprika
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-15 oz. can tomato sauce
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, or white rice
- 2 cups cheddar or mozzarella cheese (you can use low fat)
- 3 large zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Heat a large frying pan on medium high heat with olive oil. Add onion and sauté until lightly browned - around 4 minutes. Add celery and red pepper and sauté for 4 minutes. Add ground meat and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until it is lightly browned and cooked through, breaking it apart as it cooks. Add the minced garlic and cook 1 minute. Add thyme, paprika, vinegar, brown sugar, salt and pepper to taste, and tomatoes and cook for 20 minutes until slightly thickened. Taste the sauce for a slightly sweet and sour taste and add more vinegar or brown sugar if needed or salt and pepper. Gently stir in rice and 1 cup cheese. (This can be made the day before and refrigerated.)
Place zucchini on a baking tray lined with foil for easier cleanup.
Divide the meat stuffing evenly between the zucchini and top with remaining cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes until lightly browned on top and the zucchini is fork tender.