- Chicken Paprikash
- I use fat free sour cream and the sauce is fine. I also use whole wheat wide noodles to make it a healthier choice.
- 4 servings
- 4 skinless, chicken breasts
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced, or 1 cup of roasted peppers, chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup heavy cream (optional)
- ½ cup sour cream or fat free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley leaves – for garnish
- 10 WW Points (with noodles)
Cut each chicken breast into 1-inch pieces and place in a bowl. Season with salt, pepper and 2 teaspoons of paprika. Lightly coat with flour. In a braising pan, heat oil. Sear chicken pieces until brown on all sides but not cooked all the way through. Remove the chicken from the pan and place on a plate.
Add onions and red pepper to the pan and sauté for 5 minutes until golden brown. Add the garlic and cumin. Cook 1 more minute. Add the tomato sauce and remaining teaspoon of paprika. Add thyme and bay leaf and stir until well blended. Deglaze with the vinegar and wine. Add chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the reserved chicken pieces. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add cream (optional) and sour cream and continue to simmer another 5 minutes or until the chicken is tender and cooked through. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Garnish with minced parsley and crème fraîche or dollops of sour cream. Serve with dumplings or wide egg noodles.
8 WW Points (using 1/2 cup low fat sour cream)