- Swish Tawook or Chicken Tawook – Lebanese Chicken
- You can make this chicken into shish kebabs and grill them with onion, and peppers, or just use deboned, skinless chicken breasts. Grill them on the bbq or saute them in a skillet and finish cooking in a 425 oven.
- Serves 4
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 onions, cut into large chunks
- 1 large green or red bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- large handful chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
In a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon zest, lemon juice,oil, yogurt, garlic, tomato paste, salt, oregano, pepper, allspice, cinnamon, and cardamom and add the chicken and toss to coat. Refrigerate at least 4 hours.
Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil grate. Thread the chicken, onions, and pepper onto metal skewers. Cook on preheated grill until the chicken is golden and no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes each side. You can also brown the chicken breasts in a sauté pan for 3-4 minutes or until browned and turn over and place in a 425 oven for 8-10 minutes or until cooked through. Sprinkle the parsley over the chicken and serve.