- Slow Cooked Salsa Chicken with Tortillas
- This recipe is so quick to put together. I prefer buying fresh salsa, but you can also use a jar of salsa. Instead of measuring out all the spices you can use half a packet of taco seasoning in place of all the spices. If you don’t have a crockpot or don’t have 4-6 hours for cooking, you can also use a Dutch oven and place the chicken in a 325 degree oven for 1 ½ -2 hours or until it pulls apart. I often serve it with a quick coleslaw with mayonnaise, lime, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Serves 4-6
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (or less depending on how spicy you like it)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 (16 oz) jar salsa or 1 ½ cups fresh salsa
- flour or corn tortillas, or hard shelled tacos
- diced tomatoes
- shredded lettuce
- diced onions or green onions
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- diced avocados
- tomatillo sauce
Put everything (excluding tortillas and toppings) into the crock pot and stir until chicken is evenly covered with salsa mix. Cover and cook on low until the chicken is fork-tender and shreds easily, about 6 hours. (Or alternatively, cook on high for 4 to 6 hours).
If using a Dutch oven, put salsa chicken in Dutch oven, mix well and cover with lid. Place in a 325 degree oven for 30 minutes. Turn the chicken over and cook 30 more minutes or until the chicken pulls apart easily.
Shred the chicken with 2 forks, mix with the sauce and set aside.
To serve, heat tortillas over a dry non stick skillet or over a gas flame and place on serving plate or tortilla warmer. If you are using tacos, place shells on a cookie tray in a pre heated 350 oven for 5 minutes. Divide chicken evenly among tortillas and top each tortilla with desired toppings.