- Middle Eastern Burger
- You can use all lamb, all beef or a combination. You can make the patties the day before and store in the refrigerator. Don't worry if you don't have all the different fresh herbs. Use what you have on hand.
- Serves 4
- 1 ½ lbs. ground lamb or beef
- 3 tablespoons grated red onion (save other half onion for salad below)
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 teaspoons each of chopped fresh parsley, mint, dill, and cilantro
- 4 teaspoons baharat spice mix (see recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 3 teaspoons honey Dijon or Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- ½ pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- ½ English cucumber, diced
- ½ small onion, diced
- 2 cups mixed lettuce mix
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 pieces Naan bread
- olive oil or butter
- Tahini - optional
In a mixing bowl add lamb, onion, garlic, herbs and baharat spice mix and gently mix together. Refrigerate for an hour or overnight. Form 4 patties and place on plastic covered plate (to prevent raw food contamination after cooking).
Preheat grill or heat a skillet with olive oil over medium high heat. Place patties on grill or skillet and cook for 5-7 minutes per side until golden brown and completely cooked. Remove plastic from plate and place patties on plate.
Meanwhile, in a salad bowl add vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper and whisk to combine. Slowly drizzle olive oil until you have an emulsion. Taste for seasoning.
Add tomatoes, cucumber, onion, lettuce, cheese and toss to coat with vinaigrette.
Quickly brush olive oil or butter on both sides of naan bread and place on grill and allow to warm (if you are not using a grill, skip this step or place naan bread in 350 oven for 10 minutes).
To assemble: Cut naan bread in half and place lamb patty on one half and place ¼ of the salad mixture on top. Drizzle with tahini (optional) and place other half of naan bread on top and serve.
Baharat Spice Mix
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon cloves
½ teaspoon ground allspice
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons cardamom
2 teaspoons nutmeg
Mix all spices well and store in airtight container for several months.