- Bahn Mi Sandwich
- Makes 4
- Pork burgers:
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons basil, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Sriracha Mayo:
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pickled Carrots:
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch thick matchsticks (about 1-1/2 cup)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup rice or white vinegar
- 4 crusty rolls, such as French baguettes, split lengthwise
- English cucumber, cut into 16 thinly sliced 1/8-inch slices
- 1 medium jalapeño, cut into 16 thin slices
- 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- 4 thin slices of ham
For the burgers: In a mixing bowl, add all pork burger ingredients and mix well. Can be made the day before and stored in the refrigerator. Shape patties into rectangles the same size as the french rolls.
For the carrots: In a small bowl, combine sugar, vinegar, and 1/4 cup of hot water and stir to dissolve the sugar. Add carrots to the pickling liquid and let sit for about 20 minutes or can be made several days ahead and stored in the refrigerator.
For the mayonnaise: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Can be made several days ahead and stored in the fridge.
Preheat outdoor grill or a large skillet with olive oil over medium high heat and cook burgers until cooked through - about 8-10 minutes.
To assemble: Spread mayonnaise on both sides of the bun, add cucumbers, cilantro, drained pickled carrots, jalapeno slices, cilantro, and ham and place burger on top.