- Grilled Summer Pasta
- Use whatever vegetables or protein you have on hand and marinate all the ingredients together and toss it in a grill basket while you are cooking the pasta. The trick is to cut the protein and vegetables the same size so they cook at the same time. If you don’t have fresh herbs on hand, add the dried herbs to the marinade. If you have fresh herbs, add them at the end of cooking to keep the fresh flavor. Thyme, rosemary, basil, and oregano all work in this dish and use what you like. Add Parmesan cheese to top it off.
- Serves 4
- ¼ cup olive or vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary or 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
- 3-4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless cut in 1-inch pieces
- 2 zucchini, cut in 1-inch chunks
- 1 small onion, medium dice
- 1 red, yellow or green pepper, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ lb. penne pasta
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
In a bowl, add oil, garlic, salt, pepper and dried herbs and mix well. (If you are using fresh herbs, put them in as you are tossing the pasta together to preserve fresh taste.)
Add chicken, zucchini, onion, and red pepper and mix well.
Preheat grill basket. Tumble chicken mixture onto grill basket and evenly distribute. Close barbeque lid and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes before stirring. Continue cooking until the chicken is almost cooked and add the cherry tomatoes. Continue cooking until the chicken has cooked through and the vegetables have lightly browned. Place in large serving bowl.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to directions on package. Reserve 2 cups of the cooked pasta water before you drain the pasta.
Add the cooked pasta to the chicken mixture and add the fresh herbs if you are using them. Add Parmesan cheese and toss well. Add some of the pasta water if the mixture looks a little dry. Taste for seasoning. Serve and garnish with extra Parmesan cheese.