- Risotto with Butternut Squash and Sage
- I often make this with leftover roasted butternut squash. You can add cooked pancetta or Italian sausage for a more hearty risotto.
- Serves 4
- 2 ½ cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh sage, or 2 teaspoons dried sage
- ¼ cup white wine (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 ½ cups roasted butternut squash, dice
In a small saucepan, add broth and ¼ cup of the roasted butternut squash bring to a boil. Mash the squash. Reduce to low.
In a saucepan over medium high heat, add butter and allow to bubble. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes until lightly browned. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add rice and cook for 3 minutes stirring to coat the grains. Add sage and wine and cook for 1 minute and add 1 cup of broth, salt and pepper and gently stir. Cook and continue stirring for 4-5 minutes or until most of the broth has been absorbed adding ¼ cup of broth at a time if it becomes dry. Add another ¼ cup of broth and continue stirring. The rice takes about 20-25 minutes to cook and keep adding broth or boiling water until the rice has almost cooked through and is creamy. When the rice is almost cooked, add remaining butternut squash and gently stir in Parmesan cheese. Add more chicken broth or water for consistency and taste for seasoning. Serve.