- Caramelized Onion and Bacon Jam
- I love this caramelized onion and bacon jam on hamburgers, mixed into scrambled eggs, and mixed with cream cheese and sour cream for a great dip.
- Makes 2 cups
- 1 pound bacon, chopped
- 3 medium red or yellow onions, sliced
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup brewed coffee
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- salt to taste
In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Drain most of the bacon away and add the onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients except salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the liquid is syrupy and reduced which will take about an hour or more. Stir periodically. Taste for seasoning and add salt if needed.
Cool the jam and place in airtight container in the refrigerator. Will keep refrigerated for a week.