- Risotto with Peas and Fresh Thyme
- You can also use asparagus cut into 1-inch pieces and put it in raw with the first addition of broth and allow it to cook with the risotto.
- Serves 4
- 2 ½ cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 3 teaspoons fresh thyme, or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- ¼ cup white wine (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ cup fresh peas (can be frozen)
In a small saucepan, add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to low.
In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, add butter and allow to bubble. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes until lightly browned. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add rice and cook for 3 minutes stirring to coat the grains. Add thyme and wine and cook for 1 minute and add 1 cup of broth, salt and pepper and gently stir. Cook and continue stirring for 5-8 minutes or until most of the broth has been absorbed adding ¼ cup of broth at a time if it becomes dry. Add another ¼ cup of broth and continue stirring. The rice takes about 20 minutes to cook and keep adding broth or boiling water until the rice has almost cooked through and is creamy. Add peas and gently stir and cook until the peas are hot. Add Parmesan cheese and gently stir. Taste for seasoning. Serve.