- Smashed Potatoes with Olive Oil, Caramelized Pearl Onions, Lemons, Dill and Parsley
- Serves 6
- You can make and assemble all the ingredients earlier in the day and then boil the potatoes, smash them and add all of the ingredients before you serve. These potatoes have so much flavor and the caramelized pearl onions and hint of lemon, really makes these potatoes a great side dish.
- 1 ½ - 2 pounds red bliss or Yukon Gold potatoes, cut in half
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil or more
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10-ounce) box frozen pearl onions, defrosted
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest - reserved
- splash of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 5 thin slices of lemon
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas, defrosted
- salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh dill
Put the potatoes into a large pot, cover them with cold water, and add a large pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and lower to simmer until the potatoes are fork tender,10-15 minutes. Drain. Toss the potatoes into a bowl and roughly smash them. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and use more oil if need for a rich and creamy consistency.
Meanwhile, heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat until the butter melts. Add the pearl onions, sugar, and lemon juice and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are browned, 5 to 6 minutes.
Add the lemon slices, peas, and lemon zest and continue cooking until the peas are hot. Season with salt and pepper.
Dump the vegetables over the potatoes in the bowl, add the parsley and dill and gently mix. Taste for salt and pepper. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil if needed.
Place in serving bowl and serve.