- Creamy Chicken and Barley Soup
- This barley in this soup gives it a wonderful creamy texture. As the soup cools, it becomes thick, so reheat and add chicken stock or water and adjust the seasonings before you serve.
- Serves 6
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 celery, diced
- 3 teaspoons fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 cup barley
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
In a large saucepan, add butter over medium high heat. Add onion and sauté until lightly browned. Add the chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper and sauté until lightly browned. Add carrots, celery, thyme and barley and sauté for 2 minutes. Add chicken stock and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 45 minutes to an hour. Taste for seasoning and add more chicken stock or water for desired consistency. Add parsley and serve.