- Grilled Pineapple with Caramel Sauce
- The caramel sauce can be made earlier in the day and reheated before you serve. You can also add a scoop of coconut sorbet or vanilla ice cream and on top and garnish with fresh blueberries.
- Makes 6 servings; can be doubled for 10 or 12 (no need to double the glaze)
- Caramel sauce:
- 1 1/4 cups (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
- 1 vanilla bean, 2 teaspoons vanilla, or 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1 ripe pineapple, peeled and sliced into 6 slices, save leaves to decorate
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries - garnish
- coconut sorbet - optional
In a saucepan over medium high heat add brown sugar and butter and stir with a whisk until the butter melts. Cook for 1 minute and add the cream and stir until sugar dissolves. Add rum and cook until sauce is smooth, about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla. (The sauce can be made a few days in advance, cooled, covered, and kept refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before using and reheat in the microwave or back over the stove.)
Heat your grill to high.
Brush each side of the pineapple with some caramel and grill the pineapple slices and cook until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Remove the pineapple to a serving plate and drizzle some caramel sauce over each slice. Top each slice with a scoop of coconut sorbet (optional). Garnish with a few fresh blueberries and 2 pineapple leaves or mint. Serve immediately.