- Garlic-Lemon Green Beans with Thyme and Toasted Bread Crumbs
- This is a quick way to prepare green beans and the 2 teaspoons of flour make a nice little cream sauce without all the calories of a cream base. These beans are delicious without making the toasted breadcrumbs, but they just take a minute and add another element to the dish and can be made the day before.
- Serves 8
- 1 slice of bread
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 11/2 lbs. green beans, cleaned and ends trimmed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
In a mini food processor, process the bread into fine crumbs. In a large skillet over medium high heat, add 1-tablespoon butter and cook breadcrumbs until they are golden brown. Transfer to a small dish and add Parmesan cheese when cool. Set aside.
Wipe out skillet and add remaining 2 tablespoons butter, and add onion and sauté until light brown. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in flour and mix well. Add chicken broth and mix well. Add salt, pepper, and thyme. Add green beans and toss well. Cover. Cook beans 6-7 minutes until crisp tender. Uncover and cook several more minutes until they are done and stir occasionally. When cooked, add lemon juice and zest and taste for seasoning. Transfer to serving dish and sprinkle reserved breadcrumbs. Serve.
To make this dish ahead:
You can make the crumb topping 1-2 days before.
You can blanch the green beans and saute' the onion and garlic the day before and store in the refrigerator until you need them. Reduce the cooking time.