- Spring Vegetable Mix
- Serves 10-12
- This is a great side dish to make for a party because you can blanche the vegetables earlier in the day and before serving, heat them all up in a saute' pan. You can also saute' the onion and garlic even the day before and store in the refrigerator until needed.
- 1 lb. haricot vert green beans, topped and tailed
- 1 lb. snap peas, ends and strings removed
- 1 lb. snow peas, ends and strings removed
- 1 lb. asparagus, ends cut and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups fresh peas, blanched, or frozen
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, washed well, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add haricot verts and cook until almost cooked, about 3 minutes. Have a large bowl of ice water on hand. With a spider, remove beans from boiling water and plunge into the ice water. Continue adding cold water until the beans are cooled. Drain and allow the beans to dry. Continue with all the vegetables, making an ice bath for all the vegetables except the onion and frozen peas (Since frozen peas are already blanched, toss frozen peas in the sauté pan as you are cooking the vegetables). Store the vegetables in the refrigerator until needed.
In a large sauté pan, add olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions and leeks and sauté until lightly browned, about 6-8 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. (Can be made the day before and stored in the refrigerator). Add all the vegetables and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the vegetables are heated through about 6-8 minutes. Add tarragon and mix well. Serve.