- Sweet Potato Puree with Candied Ginger and Pecans
- These sweet potatoes can be made several days ahead and heated in the oven before serving. The hint of crystallized ginger and orange zest really adds a wonderful flavor. I buy a bag of candied pecans or walnuts in the nut and snack section of the grocery store.
- Serves 8
- 5 sweet potatoes (I like red Jewel sweet potatoes)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- juice of one orange
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup candied pecans or walnuts, roughly chopped (or take a small hammer to sealed bag and lightly crush them)
Preheat oven to 425.
Place sweet potatoes on a foil lined baking sheet, prick with a fork, and put in oven. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour until easily pierced by a knife. Remove and cut in half and allow to slightly cool. Remove skins.
In a large bowl, add sweet potatoes, butter, ginger, zest, juice, salt, and pepper. Blend with a mixer until smooth. Taste for seasoning.
Preheat oven to 350.
Place puree in a buttered baking dish (can be covered and placed in refrigerator for 1 or 2 days) and bake for 30 minutes until edges are slightly bubbling. Remove from oven and sprinkle candied nuts over top. You can also reheat in the microwave until heated through. Serve.