- Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Ginger-Pecan Streusel Topping
- The great thing about this sweet potato casserole is that it can be made the day before and baked on the day. You can add dried cranberries if you like and after the streusel has cooked, you can also sprinkle mini marshmallows and broil until lightly browned for a nod to nostalgia.
- Serves 6-8
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled, diced into ½ -inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cranberries
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup toasted pecan pieces
- ½ cup miniature marshmallows (optional)
Preheat oven to 375.
In a bowl add olive oil, salt and pepper and toss the sweet potatoes. Sprinkle onto a large baking tray and roast for 15 minutes. Toss the sweet potatoes and continue roasting until they can be easily pierced with the tip of a knife and they are lightly golden brown, around 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle the crystallized ginger and cranberries and toss well. Allow to cool. The sweet potatoes can be transferred to an oven safe buttered baking dish and refrigerated overnight.
To make the streusel topping add brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt to the food processor bowl and pulse until evenly distributed. Add butter and pulse until the butter is the size of small peas. Add pecans and quickly pulse to distribute pecans. Do not over process. If you are making this the day before, place streusel topping in a covered bowl and refrigerate until needed.
Pour streusel topping over sweet potatoes and bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. Sprinkle marshmallows and place under a broiler to lightly brown.