- Lasagna Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Italian chicken or pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced or 1 small fennel bulb, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound wide curly noodles
- 2 ounces ricotta
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1 handful basil, chopped
Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
Add the sausage and cook until lightly browned, about 8-10 minutes, breaking it apart as you go and remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl and set aside.
Add the onion and sauté until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add the carrots, celery, garlic, red pepper flakes and dried fennel and sauté until fragrant, about a minute.
Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, salt and pepper, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add the noodles and cook until al dente, about 7 minutes and remove from heat.
In a bowl, mix the ricotta, Parmesan and mozzarella and serve the soup garnished with a tablespoon of the mixture along with some of the basil.