- Peach Frangipane Tart
- You can use any kind of fruit or even canned peaches or pears (drained) and berries for this tart.
- serves 10-12
- Pie dough:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup ice water, plus more if needed
- Frangipane filling:
- 1 cup almond flour, or use processor to grind slivered almonds until finely ground
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pure almond extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla powder (optional)
- 5 peaches, (optional peeled) cut in half, pitted, and cut into 8 slices
- ¼ cup slivered almonds (optional)
- ¼ cup apricot jam or marmalade (optional)
In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour and salt and pulse to combine. Add the butter, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some larger pieces remaining, about 10 seconds. (To mix by hand, combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, then cut in butter with a pastry blender.)
With the machine running, add the ice water through the feed tube in a slow, steady stream, just until the dough holds together without being wet or sticky. Do not process more than 30 seconds. Test by squeezing a small amount of the dough together; if it is still too crumbly, add a bit more water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Gather dough into a ball and form a disk and wrap in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the frangipane filling:
If you used a food process to make the dough in, just wipe it out and mix the frangipane ingredients in it to cut down on washing extra bowls, or us a mixing bowl add almond flour, powdered sugar, butter, egg, almond extract, and vanilla powder and mix until well combined.
Preheat the oven to 375.
On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 14-inch round. Fit dough into a 12- inch removable bottom tart pan lifting into and pressing up sides and pressing dough into the corner. If there is extra pie dough, use your rolling pin, and roll over the top of the tart pan to remove the excess dough. Use your fingers and make a neat top and side of crust.
Spread almond filling over bottom of tart.Sprinkle sliced almonds over frangipane (optional). Arrange peach slices on top, fanning them out. Place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and almond cream is lightly browned, puffed and set. Transfer to a wire rack and cool in the pan. Remove from pan and allow to cool.
This step is optional - In a small bowl melt jam in the microwave for 20 seconds (or until melted) and place in small sieve over a bowl to catch any pulp or skins. Use a pastry brush and carefully brush the entire tart.